In 1950 a small group of women from Atascadero decided they would like to begin their own mission. The mission of St. Luke the Evangelist was founded April 1, 1951. The women decided on the name because Luke was a physician and they wanted the church to be based on the principles of healing and evangelism.
In 1958 the congregation moved into it's first building, which had been purchased from the Church of the Nazarene. One of the first special services to be held there was the dedication of the church and the parish hall, which at the time was the vicarage. The first vicar, the Rev. George T. Eppley was ordained at St. Luke's in November, 1958.
In 1963 a vicarage was rented and the "little house" became an office and Sunday School building. On May 7, 1969 the hand carved doors sculptured by Lester Guy were dedicated. The doors depict the Annunciation and the Crucifixion.
In the 1970's a renovation of the church was carried out. New seats, kneelers, carpet and serving tables were added. The kitchen was completely refurbished and a parking lot was purchased. In 1980 St. Luke's joined in the formation of the new Episcopal Diocese of El Camino Real.
The Rev. Matthew M. Conrad was installed in January, 1984. During this year the offices were moved to the cottage, a new porch was added to the front of the church and Loaves and Fishes began using our facilities. During the 1980's considerable improvements were completed on the church property including renovation of the Undercroft and landscaping of the grounds. In 1989 the tradition of processing from the Sunken gardens to the church on Palm Sunday was begun.
In October 1993 the reflection garden in the back yard was dedicated. In 1997 the mission began the process of becoming a self supporting parish. In 1996 Loaves and Fishes moved from the Undercroft to their own building. They commissioned and donated St. Luke's first stained glass window, appropriately depicting the miracle of the loaves and fishes.
In Lent of 1998 we institute our third Sunday liturgy. This is a service of meditation and song based on the liturgy of the Taize Community in France. Our tradition of laying out a labyrinth on the floor of the nave also begins. Gay Blundell begins her ministry with us as deacon intern. The new Reflection Area on the north side of the church is constructed with funds from the Jerry Lant and Kenneth Fielder memorials.
January 16, 1999, St. Luke's became a Parish. In September, the Youth Arts Activity Center was begun to meet the communities needs for before and after school childcare. In 1999, St. Luke's installed our second stained glass window, "An Invitation to Wholeness" and began another major renovation of the undercroft and kitchen
A new steeple cross was dedicated to the glory of God in loving memory of Herbert Gorman and in thanksgiving for Hallie's life among us. Herbert had been involved in the raising of the first steeple cross in November 1958 when the building was purchased. The new cross was installed on Sunday, December 10th.
We continue to grow and reach out into the community. We are a diverse congregation with many opportunities to worship and serve.